Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO CUSTOMER SERVICE?

This past Thursday I flew from Philadelphia to San Diego via San Francisco on United  flight 447.  From the start I knew things would be a disaster. The flight was over booked and delayed.  While boarding a flight attendant with Nazi like behavior demanded that everyone surrender their carry on luggage as there was no longer any room in the overhead compartments. When I asked what about story our bags under our seat I was told not to question him and to surrender my bad. I explained that I had medications with me and that I was not comfortable surrendering my bag. I was told I would comply or face being pulled off the plane and arrest, so I complied.

We boarded and took off an hour late.  Imagine this being a dinner time flight yet all that was offered was the complimentary beverage service. No snacks.. no meals etc for a seven hour flight.  If you wanted any thing else you could purchase said items using only a credit card. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't airlines at one time offer a choice of complimentary meals on almost all flights?

When we arrived at San Francisco, I was told our flight to San Diego had been canceled however they would offer a flight to LAX with free bus service to those wishing to still get to San Diego so I signed up.  I asked as did all others about our baggage and was assured that our bags would be put on our flight to LAX.  Prior to boarding I asked the gate attendant about our bags and again was assured that the bags were already on board the aircraft.  So imagine my dismay when we arrived at LAX and went to the baggage claim only to be told our bags were never loaded on board.

The airline gave us an 800 number to call with the calls being answered in the Philippines and India.  Each of us laughed as we listened to each other's various conversations that were taking place while driving the three hours to San Diego.  Conversations grew heated and there was much yelling when due to language  barriers people repeated themselves for nine, ten and even twelve times.  As each of us called, each of us was told different excuses, told we had to either fly back to San Francisco to claim our bag or drive to LAX. Told that it was our fault that the bags were not  on board to being told that we needed to pay for our bags to be sent to us.  All the while none of us had their bags or in many cases like my own no meds.

I called numerous times to corporate hq and again was not given any one to speak to nor did those I spoke with care.  After 39 hours without my medications I was told that the airline would reimburse me for two days of meds. Yeah good luck getting two days worth of medicine, and what about clothes?   Only after more than 30 calls was I able to get my bags sent to me 36 hours later having missed my conference and being sick as a dog without my meds.  Yet the airline just doesn't care!  I ask you all to call your senators and congressmen and demand a law be passed to provide travelers a Bill of Rights!

2 comments:

  1. After the airline industry got bailed out in 2001, customer service has gotten so much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The worse thing that every happened to the airline industry was deregulation! As a result there is absolutely no customer service and in the end our airlines will end up being outsourced as well! We need to pass a law protecting travelers.

    ReplyDelete